With this coffee Sander Groenink of Espressobar Maling in Zwolle (NL)
became 14th. During the World Brewerscup 2019 in Boston (USA)
Zarcero (West Valley)
San Cristóbal del llano
Caturra & Red Catuai
Aroma and flavour profile: Complex cup with flavour notes of Cinnamon, Cacao, Brown Sugar, Sweet Ginger, Red Apple, Raisin and Rum.
We write 2012 when our founder Tosca Schuitemaker-Kreike went to Costa Rica to join the international jury for the Cup of Excellence competition. There she met a visionary man named Esteban Villalobos Corrales. He is the inventor of this Anaerobic Fermantation process and since 2014 with the company Cafe de Altura de San Ramon multiple Cup of Excellence TOP 10 winner.
This coffee is the result of many years of experimenting with the special Anaerobic Fermentation process. Below in short explained.
- Reception of the coffee.
- Washing of the cherries (to get rid of dirt and floaters).
- Fill up the fermentation tank with the cherries and the 13 different mucilages.
- Mix everything to have a homogenius mix.
- Close the fermentation tank.
- 32 hours of fermentation were required to achieve this quality.
- Once the fermentation was done, the excess of mucilage was drained away.
- The coffee was trasported to the green houses to start the drying phase.
- Four days on the patios to pre-dry the sticky mucilage.
- Final drying stage with a special for coffee adapted pasta drier, to have maximum control over temperature, moisture and time. Followed by cicles of six days starting with a temperature of 40 degrees celcius.
- Gradually the temperature was taken down to 35 degrees celcius with “rest periods” in between to drive out (externally or superficially) the moisture with the objective of achieve an excellent drying but also preserve the life of the green beans for a longer time (Reduce wáter activity).
The benefit of this special adapted Pasta Dryer is to create a drying profile very similar to roasting. The good thing is that every drying curve can be replicated which is impossible to do on African Beds or Patios.